11 April 2014

They grow up so fast!

Tomorrow I am going with my mom to take pictures of my little brother before his senior prom. In a little over a month he graduates from high school. I remember when my baby brother was just that, a baby. He had the biggest head and tiny little body! He was a such a cute and adorable baby. He would call Broncos and uncle "notnos" you really had to pay attention to what he was saying to know what he was talking about. He would point at the sky and say "oh oh oh" at airplanes and "weewoo weewoo" excitedly at passing sirens. He loved our dog Abby and would let me put make up on him (he was my living doll). Darren and I loved having a little brother. He wasn't like us. Darren and I grew up as best buddies but Christian was a little baby that we could care for and he was ours.

Now he still has a big head but that is sheer ego from being coddled as the baby his whole life :) I am very proud of my baby brother for being a kind and generous young man. He is a hard worker and he will go far in life. It is so bittersweet to watch him grow up. I just hope he knows how happy I am to be his big sister.

9 April 2014

The Angel of the Gap

A quiet soul, broken and wounded, she walked towards the cliffs edge. Tears blocked her view and her body was shaking. She was done with this world and wanted to end her suffering. The Gap, Australia's great white cliffs where many hopeless souls go to die, was the spot she would end her suffering. As she walked towards the cliff an old man gently approached her.

“Hello, My name is Don. I live in the house over there,” Don Ritchie pointed to his quaint home overlooking the incredible cliffs and surf below.

She said nothing to him, just wiped her tears and looked at him. Deep inside she was screaming, begging him to help her, begging him to end the hopelessness. On the outside she still felt blank, ready to just die and become one with the sea. He knew she didn't really want to die. If she did she would have kept walking.

“It is a lovely day out don't you think? The sky is so clear, the sun is so warm and the sea smells so refreshing,” Don looked around. This wasn't the first broken soul he had met. Hundreds have passed through this land and only a few have perished. She needed comfort and she needed to know she wasn't alone, “my wife has made some tea and will be finishing dinner soon. Would you like to come sit with us and enjoy the view from our porch?”

She stood there thinking. How could she possibly die in such a beautiful place? How could she think this world was so cruel when so much kindness was standing in front of her? He took her hand and placed his other arm around her shoulder and guided him to her home. He sat her at his table and his wife brought the girl some tea. They let her cry and listened to her story. They shared tears, struggles, joys and all that life had brought before them. At the end of the evening they all hugged and said their goodbyes.

Don told the girl to return if she ever needed someone to talk to. He told her they were family now and thus she was never alone. He saved so many but they were all individuals and he never forgot about them. Though she never returned to see her angel, she also never felt so hopeless again. He taught her that as dark as her life may feel, he sun still shined and the world still carried beauty.

When he passed away, she returned to the cliff. Her life was still far from perfect but her perspective was clear. This time she brought a bouquet of flowers. She left one for his wife and threw the rest over the cliff as a thank you to him for saving her life. There were others there doing the same thanks to the kind words and gentle touch of a stranger. Flowers lined the cliff side all because one man couldn't watch a single soul suffer.

10 April 2014

Me

On the outside I shine bright,
My smile is golden
And my eyes glitter,
I exude so much joy.

It's all a facade
My face tells a lie,
Inside I am screaming,
I feel broken to the core.

My heart feels angry
And my sadness makes me brittle,
I cry alone often
And push away those I love.

My husband has helped me
He makes me feel beautiful inside.
He breaks the darkness
He brings light into my life.

I see the pretty flowers,
I appreciate the world around me,
I still feel sad sometimes
But I can still manage a happy face.

No comments:

Post a Comment