17 April 2014

I just gotta say...

I love my husband. He is pretty awesome if I don't say so myself.

Sorry I haven't had much to say lately but I have been busy getting ready for California!

15 April 2014

The Taxi

Mark was running late for dinner and Beth would not be happy. He sat in the taxi thinking to himself what he was going to say to her. She always got mad at him for staying late at work. He never intended to but his boss was constantly giving him more work and Mark never said no. As he sat there stressing about dinner with Beth, the taxi door flew open and a rushed man jumped.

“Son of a bitch!” yelled mark “Drop me off up here I don't want to be in here with him!”

Sitting next to Mark was his least favorite person, Alec. They had worked for the same company and Alec was constantly one upping him and stealing his work. Eventually Mark quick and moved on but he never lost his ill feelings for Alec.

“Come on Mark, I just need to go up a couple blocks. I had to get out of that cold! It is hell out there,” moaned Alec. He wasn't too fond of Mark either but it was too cold to walk.

“Yeah well it's hell in here now,” scoffed Mark.

“I'll pay for the whole meter when I get out not just what I rack up,” suggested Alec.

“Fine,” it wasn't ideal but the guy was not backing down and besides, Mark had enough to think about right now.

“So, how have you been?” asked Alec to which Mark did not reply, “Are the flowers for Beth? Is it your anniversary or something?” Alec was trying really hard to make the situation less torturous for the two of them.

“No Alec it's Valentine's Day. You should know that. I hope you got Susanne flowers,” Mark could not help but feel empowered in that moment. Finally he did something right that Alec hadn't.

“Oh I guess you wouldn't know since we don't work together anymore. I guess I just kinda forgot about days like today after Susanne passed away.”

“Oh man Alec I am so sorry! That is terrible. I'm sorry!” Mark felt horrible. How stupid to gloat to someone like that. Obviously things weren't right and he should have been more sensitive.

“Thanks Mark. She was killed by a drunk driver last year. It was right before Valentine's Day so I guess not going through the regular motions of last year made me forget about it completely this year. I quit the company after that. I just couldn't work there anymore. After you left a few others did too and I happily took on the extra work. I didn't see her much that year and she was on her way to bring me dinner at work when she was hit,” sighed Alec.

“That is truly awful Alec,” Mark was at a loss of words. How could someone just be gone like that? And how could he harbor so much ill will at someone who was just doing their job? Mark felt like a complete jerk.

“Don't even sweat it man. I am happy to hear you are still with Beth.”

For the rest of the taxi ride, the two men stayed deep in conversation. Alec told Mark about his new job and Mark told Alec about his daughter. By the end of the ride it was like there was never a rivalry between them. Just before Alec was about to get out, Mark handed him his card.

“Hey it was really nice to see you. Again I am so sorry to hear about Susanne. Why don't you come over next Thursday and have dinner with Beth and me?”

“Thanks. I will call you tomorrow. Tell Beth I said hi!”

Mark decided then that Beth was right. He would start to say no. He would put his foot down at work because she was far too important to not spend more time with. Seeing Alec at first was annoying but now Mark felt such great relief that things were no longer tense with an old enemy.

16 April 2014

We Are What We Are

We are what we are
But must we really be a what?
We say that often,
“We are what we are,”
Must we get stuck on that?
I am me yes
Yet I am anything I want to be
I am the moon and stars,
I am a traveler,
I am a lover,
I am a writer.
I am many things
But that is ever changing,
Tomorrow I may be you
Or I may be her,
No matter what
I am WHO I am

Not what I am.


No comments:

Post a Comment