31 January 2014

Zombies and Marie Antoinette

I am not fully recovered from my illness (whatever it was) but I am almost 50 % there I would say. My body at least doesn't ache but my stories definitely do reflect my mental state the past couple of days. I just would really like to taste food again because I really love food.

With that said I think I am ready to give my review of the book I finished. I recently read a series about Marie Antoinette. Over the coarse of three books I spanned the entire life of the tragic queen from birth to death. The first book was authentic and great! I feel it truly captured the naive and youthful Marie. The second book was just decadent! I was entranced the fashion, the parties, the food it was all just fantastic. The only problem I had with this book is the fact that the relationship between Marie Antoinette and Axel von Fersen became a physical one. This progressed into the last book that I just finished titled Confessions of Marie Antoinette. All three books are by Juliet Grey. Now my problem with this physical affair is that it just did not happen. The author claims that the Queen occasionally did have privacy and her closest friends kept her secrets.

With all of the privacy in the world, Marie Antoinette still had zero privacy. Spies were everywhere and Axel was the ONLY person she was accused of not having an affair with. If the people of France had even an inclining of an affair they would have exploited the daylights out of it. Besides that fact, Axel von Fersen fervently kept a diary. In his diary he declared his undying love and affection for the queen but never once mentioned breaching the line into a physical affair. Not only do I not believe they actually had a physical affair based on facts but I also don't believe it happened because of her personality.

Marie Antoinette was known to be a bit prude because of her upbringing in Austria. She was also very devout in her religion and she saw first hand how her father's affairs affected her mother. I feel that maybe she may have had an emotional affair with Axel but I do not believe she crossed the lines of her marriage. I say all of this because the final book of the trilogy focused mainly on Marie's desires for Axel so it was a bit frustrating.

All of that aside I would still give the book 3.5 stars. It really captured the absolute distress and gore of The French Revolution. It was so gut wrenching to here of Princesse de Lamballe's murder (she was torn to pieces and had her head paraded on a stick) by the French people. I could feel the pain of the king's family when they learned of his death and the pain of Marie Antoinette as her children were taken from her. The French Revolution was so tragic and misunderstood and the book deeply conveys that. The books were worth the read if you can get past the affair debacle.

Now that I have spouted my piece, here are my stories for you to enjoy! The last one is by far my favorite! Enjoy!

 
29 January 2014

Oh I Am So Sick

Oh I am so sick,
My head is stuffy,
My throat is sore,
My neck is stiff,
I feel like a wreck.
I drink my juice
And sip some tea.
Scott brings me soup,
Oh how good he can be!
Oh I am so sick,
I hope tomorrow is better.
For now I'll take some NyQuil
And have weird dreams
In my ailing slumber.

30 January 2014

The Zombies

She sits on her couch with tissues piling up. Ugh! Will this headache never cease to exist? She thinks to herself. It has been the 4 hours needed before she can take some more Tussin (yes the store brand, it is way cheaper). She takes her cherry flavored shot with enthusiasm. Maybe my nose will drain now. She grabs some cherry 7up and hits the couch again. I guess I'll take a nap, at least it makes the time go by faster and maybe I will wake up feeling better.

THUD!.......THUD!.......THUD!

She shoots up out of her sleep.

“What the hell was that?!?!” she yells.

THUD! THUD! THUD! THUD!

It had to be one of the stupid dogs stuck in the bedroom. As a matter of fact where were all the animals? She decided to go upstairs and see what the banging sound was. She was feeling much better, that nap must have really helped! She got to the stop of the stairs and noticed that all the doors were open except the spare bedroom.

“How did they get locked in there? Those dummies! I am coming calm down!” she yelled as she reached the door knob.

She opened the door and ARGHHH SNAP SNAP SNAP! She immediately slammed the door shut again!

“OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! What the... shit! Shit shit shit! I need to go get him!” she yelled out as grabbed her coat and the old sword they got from his grandparents' estate. Zombies were real apparently but how the hell did it get into their home? There wasn't time for those questions. They had watched enough zombie movies, they just needed to be together and they could make it.

She hopped in her car and drove off to his office. On her way she called him and told him what happened. It didn't seem like an outbreak had occurred yet. She had only seen the one in her spare room. The news wasn't reporting anything so maybe they could ditch the city. She found him on the corner where she told him to meet her. He jumped in her car and off they went to the mountains.

They found a cabin deep in the woods. It looked really sturdy so they decided this is where they would stay. He went in first. He had a big knife. He slowly pushed open the door and peeked in, ready to kill any zombie in his way. She was right behind him with her wonky but sharp sword ready to stop a zombie.

“In the kitchen,” she whispered in his ear.

He tapped the wall to get the zombie's attention. It noticed and began to lurch forward. Half its face was gone and its foot was broken so it didn't move fast. He was ready. It got close and he stabbed it in the face. Adrenaline and fear were racing through their veins. They walked up the stairs, ready for another zombie. They reached the top of the stairs. The cabin suddenly seemed older and more torn up than it had a minute ago. He stepped on a board and it creaked, that's when they heard the groans. There were a lot of them. Too many! They had to go, zombies were pouring out of a bedroom.

He shoved one zombie down the stairs and stabbed another. She kicked a couple into rooms as they headed towards a bathroom. They had to get out, the house was infested. He pulled her into the bathroom and shut the door. They pulled the toilet and sink from the walls and tried to block the door. It wasn't working. The zombies were busting through the door.

“Go! Jump out the window! Go to the car! I'll try to follow,” he yelled to her.

“No I won't leave you! We can fight them! We can! There are two of us. We can stab them through the door!” She was frantic. She was not going to leave him in that house with the zombies. She wouldn't leave him alone to die.

“I said go!” he walked up to her, gave her a big kiss and pushed her out the window.

“NOOOOOOOOO!” She bolted upright. She hadn't hit the ground, instead she landed in something more soft. In fact she realized she hadn't landed at all. She was sitting upright on the couch with a raging headache again.

“Man! It was only a dream,” she said out loud. Back to reality, she hugged her dogs and cats and flipped on her TV. I wish my dreams were this good all the time and not only when I take cold medicine. Oh well, maybe this cold will be gone tomorrow. I can't wait to tell him about the zombies! He will never believe how badass we were in my dream! She thought as she searched for something to entertain her headache away.



 


No comments:

Post a Comment