06 January 2014

Birthday Ode To Robbi and Other Memories

2 January 2014

The Time I Had the Cops Called On Me Over The Broncos

Now this is all from the mouths of others and not by my memory at all. This is not because I was intoxicated, rather I was only a toddler and unable to remember this event actually happening. I believe I was almost 2 years old and loved watching the Broncos with my dad. He would sit on the couch and I sat on the table in my Bronco outfit.

At this time I did not really know the game but I knew that when my dad was getting excited and yelling that I should too. I would slam my hands and feet on the table and scream, “Elway! Elway!” because I thought that John Elway and the Broncos were one in the same. Suddenly we heard a knock at the door. It was a police officer. He took one look into our apartment and saw me on the table.

“I am sorry sir, a neighbor called and reported a domestic dispute in this apartment. Sorry to interrupt you,” said the officer in my unclear memory.

We later found out the officer went downstairs to the complainant, lectured him about when to properly call police and gave him a ticket. It seemed apparent to the officer that it was a child watching a football game and not a domestic issue. This was the beginning of my undying love for the greatest team in America and I stand by that statement.

3 January 2014

Happy Birthday Robbi

I have many fond memories of one of my best friends but I think my favorite of all time is the day we decided to be boys with Megan Jones at a very slow shift at Elvis. There were days at the theater when the mangers would toss Megan, Robbi and myself together, I think because we worked well together but mostly to punish themselves. They may also have put us all together because Leah Delong was working and they knew we would listen to her as manager and we gave everyone else a significant amount of hell.

Often times, when working during the day shift during the week, it would be snail pace slow. Rushes would be easy enough that we could keep things clean and in between shifts we would be teenagers with nothing better to do but invent fun. One afternoon Megan wanted to be a boy. Without skipping a beat we all got duct tape, probably from Leah, and Robbi and I proceeded to tape down Megan's chest in the woman's bathroom.

This was so much fun that we then taped down Robbi's chest and then mine. We put our work shirts back on and went back behind the counter to check ourselves out as “boys”. Megan looked the best. Tapping her chest down made her broad shoulders even more broad and she had that distinct triangle shape you find on cartoon men. Robbi and I looked lumpy and ridiculous. We laughed a lot at each others expense then realized it did not feel good to tape down our chests with duct tape.

We immediately tore off the tape upon this realization and discussed some serious topic with Megan like being vegan or how much she loved Gerard Butler. For Megan it was some feminist thing, for Robbi and me it was a fun reason to play with tape and screw around. It is one of my fondest memories of my dear friend and sister from another mister. Megan did not remain friends with us but we still enjoy a few giggles in her name.

4 January 2014

The Sky Is Falling

The sky is falling,
The sky is falling,
All over Colorado,
People are screaming
And swerving around the roads.
White, pretty snow is falling
But all over town people keep crawling
Because God forbid,
The sky is falling.

No comments:

Post a Comment