13 January 2014

Go Broncos!

Yesterday the Broncos did their job and put the San Diego Chargers in their rightful place. Net week we take on the New England Patriots. That will be a tough game but we can do it!

Now as promised here are my stories from over the weekend! Hope you enjoy!

11 January 2014

The Night Patricia Died

It had been several weeks since Emma had moved in and Patricia was finally feeling like it was time to tell Emma what happened. They had formed a tight bond and Emma had kept her new friend a secret so her family wouldn't get unreasonably scared. Emma's family began to feel like they were home because there was no activity in this house as far as they knew. Yes, the time was right.

“Emma, I think it's time,” said Patricia in a somber tone.

“Oh no you're leaving me aren't you?! Please don't go Patty! I don't know what I did but I will change. You make me feel sane,” Emma had tears in her eyes and Patricia was confused momentarily.

“ No, no, no! I meant it is time to tell you how I died! I'm not leaving!” Patricia really wished she could hug her friend. She missed that feeling the most.

“Oh, okay. Wow, so ya um sorry,” said Emma with an embarrassed chuckle, “Okay I am ready now that you are.”

“The year was 1963,” Patricia was very nostalgic, “my family had just moved into this house and I was so angsty about having to leave Vermont to move here for my dad's job. We had moved cities before but we had never moved states and I was not all that pleased to leave Max behind.”

“Who was Max?” interrupted Emma.

“He was the boy I thought I was gonna marry,” Patricia paused and smiled at the thought of her high school love. He was devastated at her murder but became just the type of guy Patricia knew he would be, “boy were we sweet for each other. Daddy hated it and moving gave him the best excuse to separate us. Life was pretty mundane here. My little brother Joey and I started school a couple weeks after the move. Mom dropped us off and that was that. The days passed, we made friends and the year was going okay.

The 4th week of school is when my life changed forever. I went with new friends to the football game and that is where I met Charlie. Charlie was like a warm ray of sunshine on a cloudy day. His hazel eyes and shaggy hair could make any school girl's knees weak. I was instantly smitten. He was a senior and I was a junior. He was the hot varsity player and I was the weird new girl. Through the grape vine I found out he liked me.

One night he came by my house and threw a rock at my window. That was the first night I snuck out. We went to the park by my house and made out in the slide. A couple nights later we went back. Several nights after that he took me to lover's lane. He was constantly pressuring me to go further and I just couldn't. My parents had taught me I should love someone before I give them my body. I hadn't even been with Max and sneaking around just wasn't how I saw things happening. This really ticked him off but he wouldn't even acknowledge me at school so I wouldn't give in just to be given up.”

Emma was very concentrated on Patricia's story and Patricia was so nervous about continuing. She didn't want to feel the pain again and she didn't want Emma to be scared in her home. She was safe but would this make her feel unsafe now? Patricia decided Emma needed to know. She had already gone this far.

“One night I got a tap on my window. At this point, Charlie and I had a routine. He would leave me a note in my locker and I would be ready for him to pick me up. This was not a night he told me he would be here. It was 3 am and I was groggy. To my surprise, he was AT my window. He was tapping on the glass because he on a ladder at my window. I opened the window and I whispered for him to go away. My parents were asleep and so was I. He was cute but I was getting tired of being pressured and used. I went to go shut the window and suddenly I saw a flash of white. He had punched me in the face and grabbed me before I fell and made any noise.

When I woke up I was confused. I looked around but I couldn't really move. I realized then that I couldn't feel. I felt like I was floating but not totally detached from my body. I figured out how to look around and when I turned my head I saw evil. Charlie had gotten what he wanted. He clearly wasn't used to being told no. Afterward, he decided to kill me. When I finally came to that is what I saw. I got to watch him wrap my belt around my throat and take me from my family.

I was so angry. I was screaming and thrashing around the room but nothing was happening. I was there but I could do nothing about it. He took my underwear, wiped down the window, took off down the ladder and walked away to his truck. I sat on my floor and cried. The next morning, Joey found me. My family was broken. The police did their investigation but at that time there wasn't much they could do. Not like now. My killer got away and eventually, as my case got cold, my family moved away. That, my friend, is how I died.”

Anymore, Patricia didn't feel upset about what happened especially now that she had Emma. It was the past that she could do nothing about. At least she got to be with her family as they grieved even though they had no idea. Now she just had to wait for Emma to react. Surprisingly, Emma's reaction wasn't as intense as Patricia expected. It was really her lack of reaction for a couple of minutes that was truly surprising.

“So Charlie was never caught?” asked Emma.

“Nope. He was at my funeral and made sure to be there, physically, for my friends as they cried. He even sent my mom flowers.”

“Do you know where he lives?”

“Ya,” chuckled Patricia, “He lives 2 houses down with his wife. I think he wanted to stay close, ya know, just in case.”

“Okay so hear me out,” started Emma, “I look like a modern version of you right?”

“Ya...” What was Emma getting at? Why did she mention her looks? Patricia was super confused.

“Teach me how to dress like you and look like you. Maybe I can 'haunt' him into confessing. I haven't met that neighbor yet. I only know our closest neighbors and if I change into you maybe I can 'convince' him to confess or else. I mean, we cannot let him get away with this.”

Patricia thought about it for a minute. It could work and her family would finally get some peace.

“Okay. I'll teach you to be me. Let's get that son of a bitch!”

12 January 2014
Captain William the Frightful

The war had been raging on for many years before Marcus Treeborn was even born. His never really knew anything other than random battles and food shortages on occasion. Most of the time his family just lived it. They had moved away from the city because it was near the sea where most of the fighting had mostly taken place. The Treeborn family lived in relative peace considering the raging war.

Peace was short lived for Marcus. One day his mother sent him out to get supplies for his father's shop. The Treeborns were a family of woodworkers and His father made spare parts for boats and ships. He used to build the ships but living away from the sea made that impossible. As Marcus was heading home he noticed something was wrong. He couldn't hear the goats and chickens his family owned. The horses were running towards him and had soot on them. Then he noticed the smoke.

Billowing from above the trees, the smoke was coming from his home. He dropped everything he had and listened. He had not been gone but a couple hours! Marcus walked through to the edge of the woods and hid behind a tree to see the valley his home was in. Everything was destroyed. His home was still on fire, all of the animals were slaughtered and the burnt bodies of his parents were hanging from an impromptu scaffold near the house. The war had reached his doorstep just as his family feared.

“There is a child who lives here! Find the child and kill it. Take the meat from the animals and let's settle here for the night,” yelled the man who seemed to be in charge of the enemy.

“Move out men! All directions! We may be looking for a boy based on his whore mother's expression haha!” Another soldier in full armor guided the fighting men to search for Marcus.

He had to run but where would he go? Marcus knew he needed to get away fast and decided to take one of the horses.. He saw his mother's horse and calmed the beautiful black horse down enough to jump on her. He rode as hard and fast as he could until he reached the coast.

“Go! Get!” He yelled at his horse as hot tears streaked his cheeks. His family was gone and he needed to hide.

Marcus walked along the cliffs of the coast staying as out of view as possible. In the distance he saw a house and he needed food. There was an elderly couple but in this war you never knew who your enemy was so he approached with caution. He snuck up to the window and peeked in. There were some meat pies, bread and food. The couple were out on their dock so Marcus snuck in. H found a bag and took a meat pie, a couple apples and a loaf of bread. He didn't want to leave the family with nothing. Once he had what he needed, he went on his way. He was 20 feet away when he heard the old man.

“You'll need some warm beer to go with all of that boy,” yelled the old man. Fear froze Marcus's heart, “if you come back I'll give you some.”

Terrified, Marcus walked back full of shame and fear.

“I am so sorry sir. I meant no disrespect. My family was killed by...” does he dare say the enemy? He thought he might as well try. Maybe this old family will take pity on him and not turn him in, “the enemy. I have been traveling all day and night and needed some food until I can find a boat to get away.”

“Well son you could have just asked. Don't be afraid of us. We stay out of that war. They are all animals. Come inside now and let's eat some of that food you took!”

The elderly couple were very nice. Madge and John fed and clothed Marcus and told them their story. He explained to them what happened to his family. He told them why they lived so far from the capitol. He also told them he wanted a boat to try to jump onto a ship and find work somewhere far away. After dinner and conversation, the three had some warm beer and went to sleep. It was decided that Marcus would take their little row boat in the early morning, along with some food and water and he would try to find a good ship.

Marcus thanked the elderly couple and he prayed to the gods that they would be safe while the war raged on. He was so full of fear but he rowed as hard as he could until he could not see the land and then he rowed some more before he finally ate some bread and fell asleep.

“Ey boy! Wake up! Get up get up!” Marcus heard laughter and felt a splash of water on his face.

“What? Who... um...” Marcus was dreaming of mermaids and life on the sea so he was very confused by his sudden awakening then he remembered that he was on the run. Marcus sprang to his feet and stood guard to the amusement of the men on the ship.

“Calm down little mouse. We aren't going to eat you! Haha! You were fast asleep boy. So fast asleep you didn't even wake when we pulled you aboard. What is your name little mouse boy?” asked the man who seemed to be in charge.

“I am Marcus Treeborn of the woodworking western village. Who are you”

“Ay a smart boy! I think that is even the lads name, men! Well boy you are on the great ship of Captain William the Frightful and I am your captain,” Captain William tipped his hat at Marcus with a cunning smile and everyone cheered.

“You're a pirate? How can you be a pirate? I don't see any treasure. You speak so elegantly. You're all dressed very nicely...”

“Ah so you think we are all blubbering morons who steal booty and say argh do ya?” Asked William.

“Well ya I suppose I do.” What kind of pirates are these? He didn't even know pirates were real and he certainly didn't think they spoke well or dressed well for that matter.

“Lad we are gentlemen. We live by a code, still the pirate code but we dare to be men not idiots. We steal from other ships and travel the West seas in search of treasure but we do not kill unless we are in grave danger. We prefer to act frightful now be frightful, hence my name. Now, why were you floating around the seas just waiting to be scooped up by probably villains?”

Marcus told his story again and of his desire to jump onto a ship and find work somewhere far away.

“Boy you have reached the right place. You may work on this ship but you must work hard for your spot or we will drop you back off on land. Someone bring me a mop and bucket for the kid. Now we just need a new name for you. Something scary so people know you are a pirate,” said Captain William, “any ideas men”

“How about Arakkus the Invincible?”

“What do you know men? The lad came up with his own name! Well Arakkus, invincible is a name no one here has. Welcome to the ship young mate! Now swab the deck matey and earn your keep,” Arakkus did as his captain asked with pleasure. A new life was given to him and one day he would avenge the death of his parents, if he could get the help of his new crew mates. Until then, he would learn to be a pirate like the great Captain William the Frightful!

No comments:

Post a Comment