18 January 2014

I am at a loss for words these days

It is not really a bad thing. Most would say I talk too much. Well I suppose I should say most who don't like what I say believe I talk too much. Anyway, here I go talking too much. I have found that this journey of being a writer is extremely cathartic. On one hand I would LOVE for just one thing I wrote to be published. i could care less if I made any money off of it, I just want someone I do not know to be affected by the words that I wrote. It would just make my heart so happy. On the other I feel extremely blessed that my close family and friends get to see who I really am.

Until recently, I have been a mere shadow of myself. For a very long time I was weak and insecure. I needed constant approval and acceptance because I had issues with some things I saw and was a part of in my childhood. Lucky for me I married a man who not only accepted me for who I was but brought out the greatest part of me. If you don't already know him, his name is +Scott Fennell and he is the most intelligent, kind, respectful, loving person I have ever met. I am so blessed to have him in my life. He pushes me to be my greatest and has been my greatest supporter when it comes to being a writer. My life's work is dedicated to him and I think that shines through in some stories!

Speaking of stories here are Friday's updates! (Yes I know technically it is Sunday but I am pretty sure I will be late to my own funeral so it is okay.) Hope you all enjoy!

 
15 January 2014

Kindness

The little boy went to school everyday. He had holes in his shoes. His mommy put him in extra socks, kissed his head each morning and promised that when she was caught up with bills and groceries that he could have new shoes. He loved his mommy and knew she worked very hard. He knew she would give him the world if she could. His back pack was tattered and still the one he used in 1st grade. Now he was in 4th grade.

Sometimes kids made fun of him. They pitied him because he was quiet and didn't smell very good. He always sat alone at lunch with the same PB&J sandwich and 2% milk his mom always packed him. It is all they could afford. Regardless, his smile never faded.

The little girl in his class did not know she was kind. She just knew that her family could afford things the little boy's couldn't and she did not understand why that was. To her it was unfair. She asked her parents to help. They said it was a family matter and they couldn't help so she asked her teacher and the principal to help. All she wanted was to get him new shoes so his feet could be warm. She had just the right ones in mind too.

What the little girl did not know was how much her kindness affected the hearts of the adults at her school. They had seen the boy but they never once thought to help him. Their teacher bought him the shoes the girl picked out. The principal bought him a new winter coat. The school counselor had a friend renting a house near the school and worked out a deal for the boy and his mom to live their at a price just for them. The music teacher got the mother a spa package and the nurse got a grocery store gift card. They all pitched in for a backpack filled with the best supplies.

The principal called in the mother and her son as well as the girl and her parents. He presented the mother and son with the gifts from all of the staff and a few parents as well. The boy was so excited that his family was rewarded with all of these gifts. His mom could rest and know he was okay now. The mother was overwhelmed with gratefulness and joy at the kindness.

“Why us? Why of all people in need do you help us?” asked the mother.

The adults were dumbfounded. They didn't really know. They just had to help. It felt good to help. The answer came from the sweet little girl.

“Because never once does he complain,” she pointed at the little boy, “ he loves his sandwich and the love that is put into it. He tells everyone that his mommy works hard so he can have that sandwich. I am not always happy but everyday I come to school and see this boy who has not as much as me but he is always happy. The sky could be cloudy but he never misses the ray of sun shining through so I thought he deserved a nice pair of shoes for that. I just knew you grown ups could help!”

The adults realized that the reason they never noticed the boy was because his outlook on life did not match his old shoes. They also realized that because of his positive demeanor and the little girl's kindness that they were missing out on a lot in life. The tender hearts of children opened the eyes and hearts of grown ups with just a simple gesture that day all thanks to kindness.

16 January 2014

The Glutenous Squirrel

Squirrel loved spring time. With spring time came sun and warmth and nest of all the birds. Oh the stupid birds who twitted around from bird feeder to bird feeder that the people put up. Now this particular was not much of a hard worker. In fact, most of the knew him as a mooch and con artist. The least amount of effort he could put into getting the nuts and seeds the better.

This spring squirrel noticed that there was one particular neighbor who hung several feeders from the trees. This person even hung squirrel feeders. The only problem was that these feeders were way up in the trees and squirrel kept a luxurious apartment at the base of the tree.

He racked his brain for days trying to figure out how to get the nuts from the feeders. He heckled other squirrels but only got the occasional snack thrown at him. One day he noticed that the person who fed the neighborhood birds and squirrels left all the food in the shed and on this day that irresponsible person left the shed open. It was like the grand opening of a new all you can eat buffet and squirrel was the first in line.

Squirrel walked over to the shed so as not to attract attention. He certainly was not going to share his spoils with the other animals. After making sure the cost was clear, squirrel walked through the doorway to see that all his squirrel dreams had been answered. The person left ALL of the bird seed and nuts on the floor of the shed. Squirrel chirped and danced around the shed gathering as much as he could. He thought about taking it back to his home but the other animals would see him so he stayed there and devoured everything he could get his hands on.

Squirrel ate his way into a serious food coma. When he woke up later in the night he looked around him. The scene was truly incredible. Plastic was everywhere. Peanut shells were scattered as far as the eyes could see. Squirrel had managed to eat both bags of bird seed and squirrel feed in the shed that day. He was as plump as a pie and felt like the world had knocked him out. He knew he needed to get home and sleep off his meal but his house was across the small yard.

In his best, lazy effort, squirrel spent several hours crawling his fat body home. Inch by inch he went and by 8 am he was half way there. Squirrel decided he needed a break. He was in the clear because certainly by now the owl had gone to sleep. In the middle of the yard squirrel laid on his back and soaked up the warm morning rays of sunshine.

“Ah at least I can lay here for a while and be free of danger. I will pass my time watching the birds fly overhead,” he said to himself out loud, “I must still be very full and not very lucid because that group of birds is getting awfully close to me...”

Those were squirrels last words. He thought he was free of danger but really squirrel had made himself the giant target of the neighborhood hawk. Hawk saw a plump and unmoving, yet still alive, meal laying in the yard and just had to act. He swooped down and grabbed up the glutenous squirrel.

“What a yummy meal this warm, juicy squirrel will make!” screeched the hawk in excitement, “He must have been a late hibernator because I have never seen a meal so enormous and full! My family shall eat gloriously tonight!”

Squirrel didn't give the usual protest that an attacked animal would. He had fallen into yet another food coma. And this is the end of the glutenous squirrel.

I dedicate this last one to Papa (Ted, Scott's grandfather). he would love the fate of this dumb squirrel. I just know it!


No comments:

Post a Comment