20 July 2014

The world is in Paris right now...

At least that is how I feel. THERE ARE SO MANY PEOPLE! I realize now why people hate tourists and we have been lucky enough to not be completely identified as foreigners. We have actually had people speak to us immediately in French because we don't look or act the tourist part. The amount of people is stifling but the worst part is how utterly rude and obnoxious tourists can be. being in Paris is no different than being in any large city. Parisians are actually very kind people. They are happy to help and they love to take life easy. What they hate is when you stop in the middle of the sidewalk and take pictures (at least move out of the way) and they hate when you disturb the beauty of the city or moment. If you are a tourist anywhere in the world my number one tip would be to enjoy the trip and it is okay to not take pictures of EVERYTHING!!! Be respectful when a sign says no pictures or no flash, pay attention to signs and please, for the love of all that is holy, DO NOT stick your camera and ipad and phone in other people's faces to get a picture. Look at the thing you want a picture of. Enjoy it. Take in every aspect of it and then once you have fully breathed in that image, snap a quick picture for memory. I will be done ranting about tourists now because there are far more exciting things to discuss!

For example Monet and Marie Antoinette! This weekend we stepped out of Paris a little to enjoy the outskirts of town. We initially wanted to go to Normandy but abandoned that idea because it would take four hours in total to drive and we don't have our international driver's license so we didn't want to risk any trouble. Instead we took a train into Vernon, had a sweet little lunch at a very local cafĂ© there then took a taxi into Giverny to see Monet's house and gardens. The famous place that he lived was donated to Giverny by his son so that it could be maintained and made into a museum for the incredible artist. First of all, the French countryside is so blissfully wonderful. The houses are so old and rustic and many still have thatched roofs. Monet's garden was truly a sight to be seen! There were countless flowers and walkways around the grounds. Any flower or plant you could think of and it was there. Pink, blue, purple, orange, red with yellow tips, you name it and it was a color to be seen there. At one point we were sitting on a bench and heard a loud splash. I knew it had to be a frog so I investigated and sure enough there was a frog! It was huge and green and I loved it! We got to also have the privilege of laying our eyes on Monet's famous lily pond. I cannot describe to you the lush beauty of that place. There were countless lilies and lily pads and the weeping willows made it feel like you were in a magical wonderland. It is truly no wonder so many people paint and have painted in his gardens! 

Since yesterday was so magical, we decided to visit Versailles to continue the beauty. We went with a group and rode California Cruiser bikes to the Palace at Versailles from near the train stop. Most people just go to the palace but there is SO much more to Versailles than the palace. We rode through the expansive property and saw all of Marie Antoinette's domain. We saw the little village that was built for her and it even had real animals in the farms like the ones from her day! We rode along paths that had trees towering over it as if it were protecting you from the garish sun. Everything was so green and luscious! Before the tour even began we were taken to the outdoors markets of Versailles. The smell was unbelievable and for a good reason! There were chickens roasting and bread baking and more fruits and vegetables than a person could eat in a life time! We got a fresh, hot baguette, some Comté cheese, salami and chorizo salami, a small bottle of wine and a couple of apricots. After we rode our bikes and took in some sights we stopped for lunch at the Grand Canal on the Versailles grounds. To say it was like a mystical fairy tale land would be an understatement. It was a little rainy and it just gave the trees and grass the most beautiful dewy look. We ate our delicious treats from the market and relaxed for a bit. It was simply amazing to just sit and be in such an old and extravagant garden! I wanted to protest getting up (and I really should have) but I wanted to see the big palace! The fact that an entire court lived in this castle blows my mind. It was really a special thing for me to see the home of Marie Antoinette. She is my favorite historical figure and I so cherish the memories I have of seeing the Paris she knew. I walked where she walked and saw some of the things she saw. The walls hold most of her life in them and I got to see those walls. The only down side brings us to the beginning of this post. There were far too many people and I did not get to enjoy the inside as much as I would have liked. Also, half the castle was shut down because of renovations. I was very heartbroken at all of this but I am only 26. Maybe one day if I have a daughter I will take her there and teach her about the things I love so much.

Speaking of a daughter... I posted a picture the other day of a ring I bought. I received some jewelry from my mother-in-law, that belonged to her mother, before I got married. It was then that I realized that no on left anything for my mother to give to me. No one left her any family jewelry to pass on or even for her to appreciate. Now my mom isn't really the jewelry type but I do know that she would have really appreciated being thought of and handed down some stuff. I decided on this trip that I was going to find a ring at a little antique shop or boutique and I did! I want this ring to be something I pass on down to a daughter when she grows up. If I never have a daughter then I will give the ring to my first daughter-in-law to have a baby. I just want something the can be a family heirloom. It may not be fancy or very expensive but it will be mine to pass on. I will wear it everyday and give it the love it deserves.

I am going to leave you with a few pictures and some stories as it is nearly midnight here. I am almost ready to come home and visit my furry animals! 


Monet's garden!


The lily pond at Monet's house!

It is so green here!

Bike tour! lucky for us we are from Denver and bikes are not new or uncommon, some people in the group were not so lucky!

Part of the Grand Canal at the Palace of Versailles

Our very French lunch: one baguette, a giant chunk of cheese, two types of salami and red wine!

My view as I relaxed after lunch!

Another shot to show how pretty the sky was :)

Versailles!

18 July 2014

Village Mouse

The little brown village mouse had such an easy life. He scurried all over the village snatching up bread crumbs and conversing with his friends. Life could not be more pleasant for the mouse. One day, the little brown mouse noticed a lot of work going on in the village. All of the animals were gathered around. After many, many months it was discovered that the village was getting a train! Whatever would they do in such a simple village with a train? At first, the mouse did not like the train. I was loud, it brought lots of people and it smelled horrible. The systems around the train were so confusing as well. The little brown mouse got lost one day and did not return home for three days. His family thought he had been eaten. As time went on, the little brown mouse figured out the gutters around the train and learned that the train was actually a blessing. He got to meet so many new people and the influx of travelers brought him even more food to bring home to his family! The little brown village mouse may have disliked the new train in the beginning but he learned how to find happiness in it. His family and all of the animals in the village ate like kings from that day on.

19 July 2014

I Hate People

Bumping and shoving,
Pushing and crowding,
Lack of respect for everyone
And general disregard for their smell,
I hate people.
They take too many pictures,
Not appreciating the memory,
Or the time they have in new lands,
Just snapping away hungrily,
I hate people.
Now not all people are bad,
Plenty are kind and thoughtful,
But tourism brings out the worst in folks,
Making pretty places hell,
Sometimes, I just hate people.

No comments:

Post a Comment