06 July 2014

So close

Less than 3 days until Paris!

I am too tired to write more.


4 July 2014

A Soldier's Freedom

I sat in that field and it was like the world had stopped or slowed down. Smoke surrounded us and blasts went off in every direction. We are constantly dodging the British. I have seen many of my brothers fall. I have watched men lose limbs after cannon blasts. That look in someone's eyes as they are dying could chill any hardened man to the core. Right now I am comforting my best friend. A bullet caught him right in the throat. He is shivering but it is not cold. He is begging me to not let him die but it is going to happen. He wants me to tell his family he loves them but I am not sure I will ever leave this field either.

You may be thinking why? Why am I fighting? Why do I not run and hide?

I am on this field shooting at a well equip army for freedom. I will die so my colonies can be liberated from the tyranny of an absolute monarchy. I am here for independence, for freedom to believe in my leader and also be able to question my leader. I am here to be an individual. I am here to pursue a freedom of religion. I am here to be away from the monarchy taking from all those they rule over. I may die on this field because I believe in the revolution and the idea of a democracy.

I fight for freedom and I pray that I get to see it take fruition and strive. I hope I live to see the world forever change as the colonies fight for independence from the British. I fight for my family and I die for my country, my new country. I fight for America and I will never stop fighting!

5 July 2014

My Friend Britany

High school is a tough time for most kids and at the age of 14 I was terrified of all the “big” kids. Being a freshman becomes easier when you have a friend who can help you and guide you through the year. That friend for me was Britany Hass. We had Spanish class together and from day one we were buddies. Britany was a junior and I just thought she was so cool and so smart! She was in color guard and she loved horses and she was older and, best of all, she spoke another language! It had to have been or first month of school that I found out Britany's family was from Ireland and, although she was born in America, she spoke Gaelic! It seemed odd that she spoke such an unknown language to me but I was just smitten with how cool she was.

Throughout the year, Britany would tell me random things in Gaelic and I would listen. We ultimately formed a great friendship and she even got me interested in winter guard. After spending a whole year in Spanish together it was coming time to make plans for the summer. I told Britany that my family usually goes camping and she told me that she would be spending time with her family as well. She said something to the affect of where her family was from. I don't exactly remember where she said but it wasn't Ireland. That is when it clicked for me. I have always been an extremely gullible person but this was a new level for me. I remember everything working out in my head. I looked at her and said that I thought her family was from Ireland and she just bust out in crazed laughter. She was laughing so hard she could barely tell me what was so funny.

“I am not from Ireland and I don't speak Gaelic! I was just messing with you!” she said to me.

I could not help but laugh. She had convinced me for an entire year that she spoke Gaelic. A WHOLE YEAR! As much as she had duped me I couldn't help but love her more! Many years saw us through loads of (awful) boyfriends and very tough times. The years also saw us through camping trips (hey Brit, how much does air cost) and great times. He daughter was my flower girl and today I am going to watch her marry the love of her life. Maybe she will even say her vows in Gaelic! Wishful thinking I know.



No comments:

Post a Comment