20 March 2014

The most talkative person in the world, can't currently speak.

My throat is on fire and I feel like a dump truck hit me while I was sleeping. I am going to get some rest and play some games so enjoy my written words and some of you may enjoy the fact that I can't speak.

18 March 2014

Siblings

Children are naughty. It is a trait they learn from day one. They will test their parents to the limits and then push those limits further because they can. Some children learn “momma” or “dadda” as first words but you know what word gets used the most? No. Once a toddler learns no, you are ruined. And don't think they don't know the difference between yes and no because they absolutely do. Don't test a toddler, they will make you look like the stupid one. Children don't get less naughty the older they get, they just get smarter about it.

When I was about 10, Darren was 8 or 9 and Christian was an itty bitty 2 year old. We were no more naughty than other children but together, we were extremely mischievous. At that time in our lives our dad wasn't much of a parent and our mom worked very hard to give us a nice apartment near our good schools, to keep our bellies nice and full and to give us anything we could want or need. She worked so hard sometimes she had to work nights. In the summer this meant that we were home during the day when she needed rest from a 16 hour shift.

Being 10, I was responsible. We could watch TV and play with our toys so long as we let mom sleep for just a couple of hours. Once got sleep she would take us to the pool or take us to the park we just needed to give her some rest. Simple correct? It was, at first. One day we realized that mom would always answer “yes” to any question we asked her while she was sleeping. That got the ball rolling slowly at first but we made sure to pick up speed.

“Mom? Can I have a candy?”

“Yes”

“Mom, can we have some ice cream?”

“Yes”

“Mom? Can we play with the bubbles?”

“Yes”

“Mommy, can we take the bubbles outside?”

“Ya”

“Mom, can we take Bubba to the creek?”

“Uh huh”

This is where we maybe took too much advantage of sleeping mom. We liked to catch crawdads at the creek and Christian (Bubba) couldn't go with us unless mom was outside. We took Christian and walked up the little hill by our apartment and played in the creek. We watched the crawdads, we played in the mud, we threw rocks at the prairie dogs and generally had a really great sibling time. Just as we thought the day could not get any better, we got what was coming to us.

“Javaneh! Darren! Christian!”

We didn't need to hear more than my name, we ran down the hill as fast as we could. Mom was up and we weren't home. In the back of our minds we absolutely knew we shouldn't go outside without mom knowing but we thought we had pulled one over on her.

“Where were you? What were you doing? I thought you were gone! You aren't supposed to go outside without me knowing,” and that was the one hat perked us up.

“But mom you said we could,” I honestly don't remember who said that.

“What? I never said that! You had me so worried!”

“We asked if we could go to the creek while you were sleeping and you said yes,” ding ding ding! That was the winning answer that ruined that scheme for the rest of our youth.

We were sent to our rooms. The new rule was that we weren't allowed to ask mom any questions while she slept and she even got a top door lock so we couldn't leave while she was sleeping. I still don't know if we didn't get in serious trouble because my mom knew we were being clever or because no one really had gotten hurt seeing as we were playing happily together for once. Needless to say that was not the end of us being naughty but that was my favorite and most memorable time with my brothers.

19 March 2014

Knee Vole

Nikki has been my friend for many years now. I believe 9 years to be exact. We have many great memories, some we can't remember but luckily those days are behind us. I would say one of my favorite memories would have to be the time we stole Rowdy.

In our younger days, we liked to hang out at my apartment and drink some crazy mixed drink I made. It was half vodka, half orange juice, a pineapple round with juice and a splash of cranberry juice in a pint glass. It tasted like heaven and made us laugh a lot! Earlier in the day we had driven (completely sober at that time) past an apartment that had a VERY realistic German Shepard statue outside its door. It scared the living hell out of me.

Later, after we had a couple drinks, we decided to hang out at the park. We took lots of pictures and had a great BFF time. After a while we walked home. Now by this point we were just having way too much fun and I decided that I was going to steal the dog statue. With as much stealth two drunk girls can have, we opened the apartment building door, (the dog was not associated with any one apartment, it was more guarding the building itself) Nikki kept a look out and I snatched the dog. We ran full speed past 4 buildings, up 3 flights of stairs and inside my apartment without detection!

Once inside, we realized Scott would be home soon. Since the dog scared me so bad we just knew it would scare Scott in a dark apartment. We went to the bedroom, turned the lights off, put the dog at the door and waited. He came to the bedroom and saw the dog. It was beautiful how scared he was! We played this game for a while, we would move the dog around the apartment and scare each other and our guests.


Nikki and I decided to name the dog Rowdy after the stuffed dog on Scrubs. Rowdy was a great companion that ended up guarding our yard at the Fox Street house. A few months before we moved Rowdy died. Literally, his head fell off and he crumbled to pieces. I am now a more functional adult and Nikki is almost 2 years sober with a great boyfriend and a wonderful life in California! Rowdy will always be one of our fondest memories together though. At least until I get to see her again next month!

No comments:

Post a Comment