12 March 2014

I'm bossy and I played with Barbie dolls, neither gave me my complex

I am getting really frustrated with the fact that grown women feel the need to push their agendas onto girls. I played with Barbies and you know what they taught me? Barbie taught me that I could be anything, a doctor, a vet, a teacher, etc. Barbie taught me that I could be a great sister. Barbie taught me that I could be beautiful. Barbie taught me that I could own any type of house and any type of car. Barbie taught me that I could be anything and I could do anything! You know what gave me a complex about my weight and what made me feel incompetent at everything? Adults. Not a toy, adult women. They told me I needed to be thinner, not Barbie. A woman told me at the age of 14 (I was 5'5" and 115 pounds of runner/volleyball/basketball muscle) that I should eat more salad and less Chipotle because I was getting fat. Barbie gave me positive views of myself and the world. The women who are trying to demonize her made me feel like a worthless girl. I would let any daughter I had play with Barbie which makes me feel like the women making her "a bad influence on young girls" are simply jealous.

Now with that said there is a new there is also a new movement that says that we should stop calling our daughters "bossy" because it gives them a complex. You don't call boys bossy so why would you call girls bossy right? Well when I was growing up, I was called bossy a lot. Actually I am still called bossy. All the time. I am bossy and I do not really have a better word for what I am. When I was a kid I thought it was great that I was called bossy. I was the only girl and I was the oldest of my siblings and the cousins I knew/hung out with. I was one bossy little punk. Now I am a little less bossy but still bossy nonetheless. I loved it and still do!

My problem with these things that we are doing to our young girls, our youth, our daughters, is that we are taking our own insecure feelings and pushing them on girls how never had those feelings. How about instead of pacifying a girl and making sure her feelings don't get hurt, we just make her feel confident. How about instead of judging a girl or telling girls what they should and shouldn't be called we teach them to take ownership of who they are and grow gracefully into that. How about instead of getting so butt hurt over every tiny thing that someone does or says we focus on our lives and our problems. This world is so big and adults need to stop making problems for children. Let them play cowboys and Indians. Let them shoot toy guns. Let them play with Barbie dolls for heaven's sake! Better yet, just let them be kids?

Now that my rant is over I have some stories to share :) I hope you dug out a nice chunk of time for this post! Thanks for reading!

10 March 2014

The Mirror Part 2

Katie took a deep, long breath and opened her eyes, just in case the little ghost girl may have just been due to lack of sleep.

“Help me!” nope the girl was still there. Katie then reached her hand and touched the glass.

“Grab my hand,” said Katie. The little girl did and Katie pulled, unsure if it she could actually pull the girl through. Miraculously she did! “Who are you and why are you in my mirror?”

“Oh thank you for saving me! My name is,” just as Katie was about to learn the girl's name, Katie's mother walked in her room to investigate the noise.

“KATIE NO!!!!!!!!” Katie's mother had a look of terror on her face. Suddenly, Katie's mother threw her arms forward and sparks came out. She grabbed the girl who was shifting into an evil looking man and shoved him back into the mirror, destroying the mirror in the process.

“Mom? What? How...” Katie passed out cold from all of the excitement. When she came to, her parents and sisters were standing around her, “Ugh what happened?”

“My dear, we need to talk. You saw a family secret today,” explained her mother. It all flooded back. The lack of sleep, the banging, the girl, the evil man and her mom doing something crazy with her hands.

“What did you do? Who was that? What in the world is going on?” Katie was confused and kinda angry at the same time.

“Well honey, our family comes from the oldest coven in the world. We are tasked with keeping the world safe from harm. What I pushed back into the mirror was an evil warlock named Iago. He is evil, malicious and wants to destroy the world. Your great grandmother sent him into that mirror. We thought it was safe in your room because you haven't shown any powers yet. Luckily it takes him a minute to gain all his powers back and I came in before he could,” Katie just stared at her mother in complete disbelief as she explained what happened.

“Coven? Are we witches? What in the world is going on?This is not real. This cannot be happening! Why didn't anyone tell me I was a,” Katie could barely bring herself to say it, “witch.”

“I know we should have told you. I just wanted you to be normal before you accepted your witch background. I suppose we have a lot to teach you. We are going to start by getting rid of this mirror,” responded Katie's mother.

“Don't we just toss it?” asked Katie.

“No sister, then Iago can get out! We must completely abolish it from this world and all other worlds,” said Katie's older sister.

The family had gathered the glass with help from the vacuum. Very last spec had to be gathered. They held hands around the pile of glass and Katie's mother said a spell. It was simple but Katie didn't understand it. Suddenly the glass flared up into bright pink and blue flames then disappeared without leaving any marks that it had been there. Katie knew her life was completely different from this day forward, she just didn't realize how much.

11 March 2014

The Painting Part 1

Javaneh was completely startled by what was happening. She touched the painting, she knew that wasn't supposed to but she touched it and she was transported into a crucifixion scene! She definitely did not fit in either. She was wearing a dress and heels and everyone else wore toga and other old timey clothes. Luckily everyone was clearly concerned with the people and Jesus on the cross that no one noticed Javaneh standing out in the crowd.

She was about to dodge into what she thought was a restaurant or something similar when she was grabbed by a man on a horse and taken away. Javaneh screamed and kicked but to no avail. She was terrified that someone HAD noticed her and she was going to be killed. After a few minutes of riding the pair stopped at a church. As her kidnapper dismounted she noticed a lock of blond hair.

“How many of you are here?” asked Javaneh's captor. As he took off his hood she realized he was actually a she.

“Just me. I'm pretty sure, who are you? What the heck is going on?” asked Javaneh.

“My name is Mary and I am here to help you get back. At your museum and many others, there are portals in paintings to real life events. Only certain people can go through the portals. Now typically people who come through are dressed more appropriately than you are which makes me think you have no idea you can travel. I need to send you back and if you ever come back please bring a change of clothes and a friend okay?”

“I can travel through time?!” Javaneh was thrilled at this! She loved history and would love to watch it in person.

“Kind of yes. You can travel through time but only as an observer. If you ever interact with an event or change a major event you will be completely dispelled and then I will have to fix the problem. There are several of us but I like your enthusiasm. Plus you do know how to dress well. I can be your guide around the paintings until you get better acquainted at painting travel,” explained Mary.

Javaneh thought of all the beautiful paintings in her museum. All she had to do was touch them and be pulled into another time. She could see all the events in the world that she loved! She needed to travel the world now and see all the museums and travel to her favorite time periods. Her excitement was nearly uncontainable!

“Okay I think the painter is ready. Now if you ever need to get back to your land, you need to find one of our artists. They will always have a gold ring on their right hand's middle finger. Tell them where you came from and they will quickly paint your place back. You will touch it the same way you touched this painting and voila! You will be back home. Okay so lets get you home and take this. This is my bracelet. So long as you have this, I will be wherever you travel to just in case you need me. Are we clear on all this?” Javaneh nodded yes, “Good! Now next time pick a more low key event. Like maybe Monet's Garden. He always has people there, then I can explain this better to you. Good luck Javaneh!”

Javaneh was led to her home painting and touched it. She was thrust right back in the museum like nothing had happened. Life was about to get really exciting and she could not wait to take Scott on one of her trips! Paint travel, who would have thought?!

No comments:

Post a Comment