05 November 2014

Countdown to Christian's graduation!

Today marks one month until my little brother graduates from Marine boot camp! I am so excited to travel out with my whole family and see him!!! I hope everyone is having a great Wednesday! I just got back from working out with Katie so I shall now relax and do some light reading.


Also, somehow I managed to mess up my days and forgot to post my story from the 1st so here it is:

1 November 2014

What I See

Whoa is me and what I have seen in this world. I have traveled through valleys and walked amongst kings. We have spoken of extravagance and excellence, gold and jewels. We have spoken of things no normal man could attain and yet no word was spoken of the less fortunate, the hungry, the forgotten. I left these kings thinking of how sad the world was and how cruel everyone in it could be. I left the wealthy and traveled to the most ravaged lands in the darkest corners of earth. I found babes with swollen bellies and flies in their eyes. I saw mothers begging for food for their children, fathers working themselves to death, disease waging expert wars of the lives of the poor and unwanted. I saw all the bad that there could be then I saw a sliver of golden light on my travels. A child, innocent in her surroundings, saw that I had no food in front of me. She noticed my shoes were a bit tattered and I was sweating from the extreme heat of the day. As I spoke to her mother the little girl left but came back minutes later. She brought me a wet towel to wipe off my face then put the towel on my neck to cool me off. I smiled and thanked her as I continued conversing with her tired mother. She then began to undo my shoes. Very quickly they were off my feet and she had disappeared inside her shanty home. I tried to protest but she was gone and I was still in conversation. The child came back with joy in her eyes. She had used her blanket and patched up my shoes as best she could. She then ran back inside and I continued to speak to her mother. A few minutes later the girl came back with other children. They all carried some rice and fruits they had collected. They happily dished out tiny amounts to everyone around. They were thrilled at my company and proud of their accomplishments. That is when my weary soul lifted and a smile cracked through my tired lips. Happy were these people. Fulfilled were these children. Their lives were not to be envied but they had something kings could not attain. They had love and they had community. They would never feel alone or not cared for no matter their situation. Oh whoa was me and what I saw but overjoyed was I at what I was taught that day by a little girl.

4 November 2014

The Well in the Garden

Faye had always heard stories about the well in her family's garden. The family claimed fairies lived in the well. They said that it was a portal to another land. An aunt claimed it healed all ailments and granted wishes to those who drank from it. With all of the stories going on about the well no one had ever seen it or witnessed the legends surrounding it. The family owned hundreds of acres of beautiful green land that had likely not been fully explored, at least not by anyone alive today. Faye decided to find the well after an especially fun evening of the family sharing stories about it. She woke up early and took a map of the lands to begin exploring. After several days of camping and searching she finally stumbled upon a grove of ivies. They were filled with beautiful blue and purple flowers. She parted a group of ivies and saw a picturesque little well. She knew this had to be the one because this area on the map was plain. There was no hint of an ivy grove or well. She saw that there was a crank and a rope dangling down into the well. She began to turn the crank and bring the rope up. Very slowly it began to move up but suddenly it became stuck. She pulled as hard as she could but Faye just could not bring up the rope. She was hoping there would be a bucket attached so she could drink some of the water or see the fairies or vanish into a portal. She gave up on the rope and decided to look in the well. It was very dark and she leaned in to get a closer look. Just then something grabbed her collar and pulled her into the well. She disappeared leaving nothing but her pack behind.


No comments:

Post a Comment